Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Wants an immediate withdrawl from Iraq followed by aggressive diplomacy.
- Wants to end the War on Drugs by legalizing cannabis, legalizing the regulation of hard drugs, and treating drug abuse as a public health problem instead of a law enforcement problem.
- Supports the National Initiative legislation for direct democracy at the federal level.
- Supports the implementation of the Fair Tax, a national retail sales tax that will replace the income tax.
- Supports a Carbon tax to deal with the problem of Global warming.
- Wants to implement a universal healthcare system that maintains competition between private businesses by using vouchers.
- Suppports gun ownership, but advocates a licensing program that requires potential gun owners to be trained in the use of firearms.
- Fully supports a woman's right to abortion.
- Supports same-sex marriage and the repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
Mike Gravel was an Alaskan Senator from 1969-1981. During his time in office, he made several noteworthy achievements.
In 1971, he began a one-man filibuster against the renewal of the military draft. Gravel prevented the legislation from being passed for five months until Richard Nixon agreed to let the draft expire in 1973. Also in 1971, he played a key role in getting the Pentagon Papers released by reading 4,100 pages of them into the Congressional Record of his of Senate Subcommittee on Buildings and Grounds. Gravel speaks candidly about his role in releasing the papers in this video.
In 1973, Gravel created an amendment that empowered Congress to make the policy decision about the construction of the Alaska Oil Pipeline. The amendment was opposed at first, but Gravel built support for it and got it passed in the Senate by a single vote. The pipeline has since been responsible for 20% of the U.S. oil supply.
Mike Gravel News & OpinionEdit
Latest YouTube Videos by Mike GravelEdit
- The Morning Show Live - Several Mike Gravel interviews
- July 10
- June 26?
Latest editorials by GravelEdit
- Exclusive: Gravel Says, “Thanks, Gays!”; Queerty. com, July 16, 2007. - (Open Letter)
- Why I Wasn't Invited to the Debate on Gay Issues by Senator Mike Gravel; The Huffington Post, Posted July 12, 2007
- Why Hillary Scares Me by Senator Mike Gravel; The Huffington Post, Posted June 25, 2007
- Chat about Mike Gravel! - Click on #gravel2008 in the drop-down menu.
- Expats for Mike Gravel - U.S. citizens who support Mike Gravel and live out of country
- Mike Gravel Forum - Join in the discussion!
- Official Campaign Site
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- FairTax.org State-by-State Directory
- National Initiative for Democracy (Founded by Mike Gravel)
- Genealogy of Mike Gravel
- Mike Gravel at WikiLeaks
- Supporting Gravel Blogspot - by Gregory V. Chase of New Hampshire
- Oh, Shut Up.net - Blog that endorses Mike Gravel
- Mike Gravel Chat at Campaigns Wikia - Click on #gravel2008 in the drop-down menu.
- Mike Gravel '08 Official Forum
- Mike Gravel Forum at Campaigns Wikia
- Gravel '08 Proboards 75
- Mike Gravel for President 2008 - at care2.com
- Gravel for President '08 - Official
- The official Youtube Channel for Mike Gravel - Subscribe to "gravel2008"...it's free!