The main topic of debate during the campaigns has been Seychelles' economy. These elections are expected to the most closely contested in the country's history. 
Three candidates are participating in the election.
- James Michel – Incumbent president and candidate of the ruling Seychelles People's Progressive Front (SPPF) party. He took over as president after longtime leader France-Albert René, who won the last presidential election in 2001, stepped down in April 2004.
- Wavel Ramkalawan – Candidate of the main opposition Seychelles National Party (SNP). He finished second to René in the 1998 and 2001. He has been endorsed by the Democratic Party (DP), another opposition party.
- Philippe Boulle – An independent candidate who ran in the 1993 and 2001 presidential elections.
- Seychelles People's Progressive Front – Official site.
- Seychelles National Party – Official site.
- Democratic Party – Official site.